The YMCA offers a full YMCA of the USA lifeguard training course that includes ASHI, BLS, First Aid and oxygen equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention and decision-making skills.
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of the class. Online prework, attendance, full participation, successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required.
If you're interested in working as a lifeguard for the YMCA, training may be available at no cost to you. Contact our branch aquatics directors for additional information.
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
*All trainings will include required e-learnings. These will be distributed a week before the in-person sessions and need to be completed before those begin.
Alexander Family YMCA
February 19 - 27, Saturdays & Sundays 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
A.E. Finley YMCA
- January 15- February 5* REGISTER
- March 4 - 26* (Register beginning Feb. 1)
- April 22 - May 14* (Register beginning Feb. 1)
*These courses will begin with a Friday (6 - 8 p.m.) training on the first weekend only, and each Saturday will meet 12 - 7 p.m.
- April 11 - 14 (Spring Break)** (Register beginning Feb. 1)
- June 14 - 17** (Register beginning April 1)
**These courses will be Monday - Thursday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. each day.
Chapel Hill - Carrboro YMCA
January 16 - 23, Saturdays & Sundays, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
A.E. Finley YMCA, Linda Singh
Alexander Family YMCA, Gretchen Golz
Chapel Hill - Carrboro YMCA, Denise Done
Downtown Durham and Hope Valley Farms YMCAs, Stanley Bass
Ingram Family YMCA, Christopher McLaughlin
Kerr Family YMCA, Lorie Buchholz
Kraft Family YMCA, Kristin Hutchins
Northwest Cary YMCA, Allie LoPiccolo
Poole Family & East Triangle YMCAs, Jessica Meder
Taylor Family YMCA, Eric Bjorkquist
Southeast Raleigh YMCA, Christopher Thomas